Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of bioorganic chemistry was founded on February 20, 1959 by a decree of Presidium of The Academy of Sciences USSR and named as The Institute of natural compounds chemistry (INCC). In 1970, the Institute was named after its founder – Academician M.M. Shemyakin, and in 1992 – after Academician Y.A. Ovchinnikov. From 1988 to 2017, the Institute was headed by Academician V.T. Ivanov, known for his research of the structure and function of peptides — the ubiquitous bioregulators. Since 2017 the Director of the Institute is Academician A.G. Gabibov.
Today the Shemyakin and Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry is the main center of physical-chemical biology and biotechnology in Russian Federation. It is included in the Department of biological sciences of Russian academy of sciences and performs activities connected with biochemical research of living matter. It researches molecular mechanisms of vital processes and their practical use in medicine and agriculture. Moreover, the Institute develops fundamental and applied aspects of biotechnologies.